Post subject: Charging Candles
PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 3:26 pm 
Fiery Serpents

Charging Candles
by Mary Caelsto

Whether it’s a jar candle designed to fragrance the room or chosen for a specific ritual purpose, one of the important parts of candle magick is “charging” the candle. Simply put, when a candle is charged it is filled with energy designed for a specific purpose. The energy comes from ourselves and the universe. It’s freely available and anyone, of any faith, can charge a candle. If you’re not comfortable with the thought of rituals or magic you can think of it as a prayer.

The most basic way to charge a candle is to hold it in your hands and think about the purpose you wish the candle to serve. If you’re burning it for healing, for example, then imagine the person getting better and becoming healthy once more. For prosperity, think about you living the live you want, free of worries and stress from money. The important part is to be positive about your goal and to imagine it happening.

If you want to go farther in charging a candle, then there are additional steps that can be taken. Anointing the candle with oils helps to imbue it with the properties of the essential oils. In addition, you can add nuances to the magical meaning of the candle. Adding planetary or zodiac oils to the candle can bring those elements (such as Capricorn for money or Mercury for communication) to your candle magic.

Some people inscribe runes or symbols on the candle. Continuing with the prosperity spell, a simple dollar sign is easy to carve and expresses in concrete terms what the candle magic will be for. Names, numbers, even small pictures can be created with a minimum of effort on the candle.

With the simplest form of candle magic, the candle is dressed (or anointed) with oils, a symbol carved on it, charged with energy and then burned. This ritual can take only a few moments to several days depending on the steps involved and the preferred timing of them.

Of course, when it comes to candle magic, and charging a candle, following the basic steps is good, but the best thing you can do to have a properly charged candle is to choose the correct candle. The size and type of candle doesn’t matter for ritual purposes. Some people prefer jar or container candles. Tapers, mini candles, tea lights, or votives all work well. The two factors in choosing a correct candle are the scent and the color.

When it comes to scent, an unscented candle, ready to be anointed or left “as is” may be your best choice. Otherwise, with the wide variety of scents available choose the one that’s closest to your ritual’s purpose. If working on a prosperity spell you may wish to choose scents that make you feel rich and luxurious. Spells for love naturally call for floral fragrances.

And the color of the candle plays a role too. Green is the color of prosperity. Blues evoke healing, and pinks and reds are for love or passion. While there are plenty of tables out there that talk about the correspondences of various colors, the bottom line is that you’re the one charging the candle and doing the ritual. You get to choose which works best for you and what feels right. The color and the scent of the candle are fully under your control.

In the end, it isn’t the way the candle smells or what kind of wax it’s made out of that creates the magic. It’s you. To charge a candle means putting your will into it and that will helps to form an outcome. The magic is within. The candle is merely a tool. Charging the candle gives it direction. Nothing more and nothing less. Your spell, prayer, ritual, or whatever you wish to call it, really works the magic. However it sure doesn’t hurt to have a full set of tools at your disposal and charging a candle doesn’t take much time or energy. Just a little thought.

Mary Caelsto is a pagan author of fiction and non-fiction. You can visit her website at http://www.marycaelsto.com. She runs Jupiter Gardens, LLC a store devoted to providing products and services that nurture your inner worlds. Learn more about the Jupiter Gardens family at http://www.jupitergardens.com

Article Source: http://newagearticles.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 3:07 pm 
Souls of Fire

Quote:
In the end, it isn’t the way the candle smells or what kind of wax it’s made out of that creates the magic. It’s you. To charge a candle means putting your will into it and that will helps to form an outcome. The magic is within. The candle is merely a tool. Charging the candle gives it direction. Nothing more and nothing less. Your spell, prayer, ritual, or whatever you wish to call it, really works the magic. However it sure doesn’t hurt to have a full set of tools at your disposal and charging a candle doesn’t take much time or energy. Just a little thought.

I agree. To the magical practitioner the candle transforms from a stick of wax with a string hanging out to a pillar of meaning. And in magic meaning translates to a felt signature.

The candle flame literally radiates a blast of ionized air. If you run a current through the flame from a sound system, the flame can literally play the music like a speaker.

Something similar happens when you infuse the candle with the currents of meaning. They "play back" amplified when you light the candle. I use olive oil to rub the candle, and carve runes sacred letters and/or sigils, depending on what I'm doing.

When you hold a candle in you hands, your intent translates into the energy sensations or tingles you feel running through your palms into the candle. The charging is actually mutual. You charge the candle, but you also charge yourself to be receptive to the candle output of your intent when you light it.

It's like having a playback of background music keeping the beat and melody while you sing the lyrics with your ritual, and is especially potent if you can consciously feel the patterns of energy the flame radiates.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 4:02 pm 
Souls of Fire

The sorcerors in the Philippines, where I was born and raised, take candle magic seriously. They consider it one of their most important magical practices. The candles they use are all made in-house on holy occasions like Semana Santa or Holy Week. All the raw materials are infused with energy using sacred words called oraciones before the candles are even made. The chanting of the oraciones continues during the melting of the wax, through the pouring of the molten wax into the molds, and up to when the wax has cooled and hardened. The candles are then stored away and only brought out when they are needed for a magical ritual. The candles, already pre-charged during their manufacture, are then charged again with oraciones before they are lit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 7:27 am 
Fiery Serpents

I've seen some of these candles, qingfisher. Many of them have wax effigies of people attached to them. In fact, the ones used for black magic have these effigies attached to the candle upside down. These candles are often black in color, though I've seen candles in other colors used for healing and other purposes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 10:26 pm 
Souls of Fire

I carve my own candles, blue for house warming or protection etc. Charging a candle is not a simple act it is an intricate part of magick. I have dealt with people who think give me a candle and make it do my bidding. What a headache.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 4:39 am 
Fiery Serpents

Lady Dunsany, I know what you mean. The people I deal with largely fall into two categories; either they think that what I do is too good to be true (ergo, it must be a scam), or they think that what I do is simple as popping a frozen pizza into the microwave. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 11:49 am 
Souls of Fire

The best is when they come to you and say I hate my ex, I want to put a curse on them or how can I keep my wife/husband from leaving me. They want a Kali Ma black candle done and I try to explain to them you do not mess with Kali Ma. I tell them use a red Durga candle she is more forgiving. They think we snap our fingers and get everything we want or they get mad as you said and think we are crooks. I had one client that called me every day for a reading on the same subject. She wanted me to tell her what she wanted to hear. I was so exhausted from her I put a stop to it. She is still going to different people and only takes the reading that goes with what she wants. This woman is a respected doctor but mad as a hatter. Makes me want to go live in a cave.